Referred to as the 'Venice of the East', Alleppey or Alapuzzha is known for its exciting boat races, traditional houseboats, coir products and pristine lakes. It is a renowned backwater destination in south India, offering tourists numerous adventurous options such as fishing, camping and boating. With magnificent backwaters, eye catching houseboats, Chinese Fishing Nets and Cormorants – Alleppey is perfect holiday destination to relax your mind, body and soul.
History :- Alleppey was founded in 1762 by Divan of Travanacore named Raja Keshawadasan. Fed by rivers, lakes and lagoons, along with the Arabian Sea on the west- Alapuzzha is land of immense natural beauty. Portuguese were the first to rule this part of land before it came under the control of Dutch.
It was Maharaja Marthandavarma who started development in Alleppey or Alapuzzha. Slowly and gradually it became a popular commercial center of Kerala attracting merchants from all over the world. This led to the establishment of numerous coir factories producing coir related goods of quantity and quality for the manufacturers. The first coir factory was established by English Sea Captain and later other followed the suit. Another historic development in the town was first Anglican Church built by Christian missionaries in the year 1816.
Alleppey Beach :- It is most popular tourists destination in the town of Alleppey. Laze on the white sands of the beach, take a sun bath and surrender yourself to the nature, forgetting everything in your surroundings. An old light house at the beach gives beach a amazing look.
Ambalapuzha :- Located 14 kms from Alapuzzha, Ambalapuzha is known for its architectural wonders, most importantly the SreeKrishna Temple that typifies the traditional Kerala style. The temple is popular through out Kerala for 'Palpayasam' a milk porridge of unusual sweetness offered to the deity.
Karumadikkuttan :- Karumadikkuttan is ancient village famous for its 10th century Karumadikkutan statue, a black granite figure of Lord Buddha, the founder of Buddhism.
Krishnapuram Palace :- Krishnapuram Palace was built in the 18th century by Travancore Kings in the typical Kerala style of architecture. The major attraction of the palace is the mural Gajendra Moksham placed on the ground floor of the double storied palace . For the purpose of information it is one of the largest one of its kind in Kerala.